[VHFcontesting] K9GY FM08rp 2m Sprint Score

To: "CQ-VHF Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K9GY FM08rp 2m Sprint Score
From: "Eric Hall, K9GY" <k9gy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:56:36 -0000
77 Qs
21 Grids
1,617 Score

FT-817 into "HL-35NP" amp (35 watts)
Decided to use the 2m amp since no power classes in this contest.
The 4 element Arrow portable antenna seems to work great and is easy to
assemble/disassemble.
QTH: Thorofare Mountain Overlook on Skyline Drive FM08RP 3,600' (milepost
40.5)

Was able to escape the 90 F DC wx for the 70 F wx in Shenandoah National
Park.
This has got to be the most mileage (230 miles) for a NON-rover, hah!
Bought premium gas in Warrenton, VA on Mon for $2.79/gal and on Tues for
$2.77/gal.
Due to the late ending of the contest, I decided to camp overnight and hike
on Tues.
Set up the tent at Big Meadows (milepost 51) before the contest. Good thing
I brought
the bug spray as the mosquitoes were out in force! I had hoped to climb
Hawksbill after the
tent setup and before the contest but I left DC area too late to fit it all
in.

No voice keyer and manual logging...I liked having the concentrated activity
that the
sprints bring out.

Tuesday I hiked from milepost 43 to the Old Rag summit! 13-1/2 miles with an
elevation climb
of 2,600'. Highlight of the hike was having an (adolescent?) black bear look
right at me
from about 20 feet away. I was coming down Old Rag and he was working his
way up
the side. I had stopped to see what was making the noise. Once he saw me he
took off
back down the mountain. He must of been about 200-300 pounds? That was my
first bear
sighting since I began hiking out in SNP last fall. Neato. Glad he was more
scared than me!

I appreciate Steve W4SHG doing the rover for this one! Wow!

CQ CONTEST!

73, Eric