Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover batteries

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover batteries
From: "Rick R" <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 21:50:52 -0400
K1DS/R uses three separate battery sets. First is a pair of regular auto
batteries for the amps for ABCD, 160Wfor 6&2, 100w each for 222 & 432. I
just happen to have them, but would replace with marine types. Next is a
100AH Marine battery from Sears, runs the FT736R and the FT100D If for the
microwaves. Third is a pair of either 65AH or 100AH Gel cells in parallel (I
recently got the 100AH cells from a surplus removal from a commercial
back-up source). That runs the microwave rigs on bands 9EFGHIJ (10-35 watts
per band) and the inverter 300W for the computer and rotor, and a small
cabin light. All are charged via a switched arrangement, using a 100Amp
solenoid, from the stock alternator in my Ford E150 van, with a 50Amp fuse
for protection, and using #8 cable.
As the batteries are aging, and we are heavy users of power, I can count on
about 2 hrs of operating before someone tells me there's drift or
distortion, usualy indicating some low voltage, so we start up the engine
and charge as needed. I also have an electronic Battery Booster to stabilize
voltage up to 23A draw. see http://members.cox.net/w4rry/index.html for the
details of the unit.