[VHFcontesting] The essence of the issue [was: A practicalconsideration]

To: VHFContesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The essence of the issue [was: A practicalconsideration]
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 05:00:34 -0700 (PDT)
Relying on Kenneth's records, and referring to Grid
Circling / Captive Rovers...
> so controversial that N1ND felt compelled to
> include in his writeup that the score
> was achieved "within the rules."

...followed by this in reference to another event...

> To quote the June 1992 QST article listing the
> results for the January contest, "Rovers were
> outstandingly competitive this year... Considering
> the time of year,  their efforts are noteworthy."

It is important to realize that Captive and Grid
Circling rovers do so with the blessing of "The
Commissioner" (see note 1 Post Script below).  This is
evidenced by both allowing the practice and noting it
in post-event recaps.

Contrary to the assertion of some on this list, "the
problem" is *not* the people who play by the rules.
Please re-read the previous sentence.  No amount of
"peer pressure" matters.  They are playing by the
rules as applied and interpreted by The Commissioner.

The 'next best opportunity' to retune things would be
to change the rules to allow new interpretations to
emerge.  Without that component, it is unlikely that
past interpretations will simply be reversed.

In the mean time...it is time to "get over it".  The
rules and their interpretation are as we know them to
be: GCing and Captive Rovering strategy is fine and
acknowledged as such by The Commissioner (like it or
not).

Ev, W2EV

Note 1: "The Commissioner" is a term I used to
identify a contests administrative leadership in
general terms, not any one person individually.