Re: [VHFcontesting] TE Systems 0552G 6 Meter Amplifier -OscillationProbl

To: "Steve Gilmore" <shg@staffnet.com>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TE Systems 0552G 6 Meter Amplifier -OscillationProblems SSB
From: "George Burton" <k7wwa@saber.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:42:47 -0700
Hi Steve

I had an oscillation problem with my 0552G amp. While I had it on the bench,
turned off but with DC power applied it shorted. I sent it to TE Systems for
warranty repair. TE Systems signed for it on 22-June-2005 at 3:50 PM. It was
repaired and shipped back to me on 11 July. UPS delivered it to me 2 days
later. I consider that very good service.

I spoke with Dave at TE systems to try to find out the cause of the failure.
Since only 1 of the 4 transistors failed he was not sure if it was caused by
overdrive - which is a user caused problem or just a case of "infant
mortally" on one of the transistors. My amp was repaired under warranty.

You MUST be very careful not to overdrive your amplifier. Some new radios,
such as the IC-706MKIIG ( I have two of them) can put out a very short burst
of power that is much more that you think it is.  Just because a wattmeter
indicates that you are only driving it with 20 watts does not mean that the
radio did not put out a short burst that is over 100 watts. It is not only a
problem with TE system amps. For more information on the power spike problem
please read the attached letter - please note the name and call sign of the
author. I suspect he know what he is talking about.

George