Re: [VHFcontesting] TE Systems 0552G 6 Meter Amplifier - OscillationProb

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] TE Systems 0552G 6 Meter Amplifier - OscillationProblems SSB
From: "Bob & Fran Striegl (K2DRH & N2KMA)" <k2drh@sanasys.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:47:04 -0500
Never owned a TE systems amp that was "junk".  Some of mine are over 12
years old and still cranking.  I use them on 6 through 432 in every contest
I run.  They have literally thousands of QSO's on them and I've run them
hard.  I suspect that you're current starving your amp with an inadequate
power supply, probably due to too light an AWG power cord or not hooking it
directly to the battery in the mobile.  Reducing the drive on the exciter to
make it work better was the clue.  These amps are rugged, simple designs
that need serious current!

The 375W one you have wants about 50A on voice peaks!  Even the
0510/1410/2210/4210 series that I use want a sold 30A when they key down on
WSJT and will get hot enough to go into thermal shut down if you don't put a
fan on the heat sink.  An Astron 35 would not work and I had to go to a 50.
I've heard quite a few of them operated with inadequate current before and
they really howl.  If you are using anything less than a short #8 AWG power
cord directly to the battery in the rover I'd suggest you try reconfiguring
first before you send it back.  Hopefully the low voltage that resulted from
current starving it has not damaged anything yet.

Good Luck,
73 de Bob - K2DRH