Re: [VHFcontesting] FM

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:46:20 -0500
Excellent response from Tree but I would have included the 1.8.x
Rules which address the use of National FM Calling Frequencies
since they have also been mentioned in this discussion thread:

     1.8. Use of the national simplex frequency, 146.52 MHz, or
     immediately adjacent guard frequencies, is prohibited.
     1.8.1. Contest entrants may not transmit on 146.52 for the
     purpose of making or soliciting QSOs.
     1.8.2. The intent of this rule is to protect the national
     simplex frequency from contest monopolization.
     1.8.3. There are no restrictions on the use of 223.50 MHz.

That, I believe, completes the picture.

There ARE definitely contacts to be made around Chicago on the
FM frequencies. In the recent 70cm Spring Sprint, I made a few
'random' calls on 446.00 MHz FM and picked up a few stations
that had that channel in the scan lists of their mobiles...they
weren't participating in the contest and they weren't new
multipliers but they responded to my CQ and added to my QSO
total. Each of them were on the order of 20 miles away from
where I was operating.

Also, regarding 1296...I believe the FM Calling Frequency is
1294.5. In my early days of roving, there was one station in
the Chicago area who had a 1296 FM repeater but also monitored
1294.5 quite regularly. I could always count on catching him at
some point during the contest on 1294.5 so I'd drop an occasional
CQ there on FM. If someone were DID pop up on 1296.1 with FM...I'd
*hope* that I'd recognize that and switch mode to work them.

73, JK (working on a plan to visit a BUNCH of IL & IN Grids in
June...stay tuned)