[VHFcontesting] more contest

To: nwwsvhf@mailman.qth.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] more contest
From: K3uhf@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:51:36 EDT
Would you participate in a distance based vhf contest and do you
participate in arrl or sprint contests now?

Answer 1: Yes to both

What do you think of rating a stations qso points on the rarity of the
grid they worked from or worked. Grid exchanges would be done with a
multiplier at the end of the exchange. The highest multiplier would count for
both
stations. IE if New York City contacted Elko NV and Elko NV had a multiplier
of 6
it would be used for both stations. Then when NYC contacted another NYC
station the multiplier would be 2 for both. (5 step 2-6 scale)

Yes, as long as you add an extra multiplier for portables who go to great
difficulty and
sacrifice quantity of contacts for this.  CN76 still isn't worth it.

What do you think of the idea of being able to work each station at a
multi-op site seperately?  Ie you can work any ham who comes to the mic. Each
station
at the site would still be in the multi-op catagory, would do thier own
logging bt would share (or we hope) thier equipment.

That should be a dead issue along with grid circling and captive rovers.

k3uhf- Follow-up
hi,

    So you think it would be bad for all stations at a multi-op to operate
and hand out points to others as well as turn in more logs. That was the idea,
maybe I wasn't clear.  I guess one could say that's cheating. I personally
would not participate in a contest unless I use my call. Maybe I am selfish
that
way.

CN76 Would be a class 5 grid so anyone working from or working to would
multiply the distance by 5.  CN 87 and cn85 would be class 2. Therefore a
station
that goes to cn76 will get min 2.5 times the score per qso. However the cn 87
station would get the multiplier for just the one qso.  IE you in 86 worked 85
would get one point for the grid distance X 3 for cn 86. for three points.
When you work 76 it would be one point X 5 for cn 76's rariety. for five
points.

Cn86 would be a good place to live between 2 big populated areas but a 1.5
multiplier.  While Cn76 is better with a 2.5 multiplier. The big multiplier is
reason to go out and activate the rare grid.  Also it is incentive for big guns
in metro areas to look for rare people (not to say they dont).

Thanks for your time and feel free to think and say more about it.
Also the Max is 10 squares away for points. CN88-CN85 is three points. Same
grid is one point. CN98-CN85 is 4 (9-8)+(8-5)=4

I'm going to throw this out for everyone to read or delete.
Thanks all feedback helps.
frank