Re: [VHFcontesting] Switching Power Supplies (opinions)

To: Rusty Boling <ae4bk@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Switching Power Supplies (opinions)
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Rusty,

I had a Diamond switcher for a little while, and it is
a pretty nice supply, especially with the cigarette
lighter adaptor and front binding posts, which come in
handy for accessories.  The best for price and space
would be the Astron SS30, which I had for several
years, and never had a bit of trouble with it.  It is
rated at 25 amps continuous and 30 amps intermittent,
so your Mirage and Icom should do OK on it for SSB or
CW.  Might put it a little hard if you are doing WSJT
or FM with it.  It is a good deal smaller than the MFJ
or Diamond, but then you don't get meters, Adjustable
voltage (never used that anyway), or multiple outputs
on it.  You get 1 set of binding posts and that it is.
 I am currently using a Samlex which is also nice, but
not enough power for you, and I will probably be
trading it for something with a little higher current
soon to get back into WSJT myself.

Good luck on your decision.

73s JOhn NE0P