[VHFcontesting] Pre-amp question follow up

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,50mhz@mailman.qth.net, 2m@mailman.qth.net, 222mhz@mailman.qth.net,70cm@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-amp question follow up
From: "Michael A. Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:26:34 -0500 (CDT)
Original comment

My vision is to run a single LMR-600 feedline to the top of the tower and
then switch it to masthead pre-amps with LMR-400 runs to the antennas.

* * *

A point of clarification + a follow up question.  I haven't ruled out
running a single feedline per band and the pre-amps do not have to be
installed at the time the tower goes up, and due to budget limitations may
have to come later but I want to plan for them when the tower goes up.

One individual indicated that the LRM400 from the top of tower around the
rotor is a bad idea because of its solid center conductor.  My intention
is to have the rotor down inside the tower actually a few feet lower than
my thoughts about where the weatherproof box for the pre-amps will go.

My question(s) is Why would running a solid center conductor near the
rotor be a bad idea?  And a follow up, If a solid center conductor is the
improper approach then would running an even larger feedline past the
rotor be incorrect as well?

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com