Re: [VHFcontesting] How to build the June VHF contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How to build the June VHF contest
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:39:03 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Rusty Boling wrote:

> Just my opinion, but I feel that it may be Field Day that pulls down
> participation in the June VHF Contest.  It is simply too hard for "most"
> hams to do both the June VHF Contest and Field Day as well.  In addition to
> this I also feel that it pulls down participation when each individual
> operator's score is not shown in QST.  I know the latter is not new news,
> but do you all think that having more separation between the VHF contest and
> Field Day would increase your, or your club's participation?

I myself don't have any problem and eat both of them up!  (But I'm
probably different.)  :-)

I am curious if ARRL has looked at statistics for ALL of their contests
since they stopped printing line scores in QST.  It could be a factor.
Although my main interest in contesting is in just having fun and
operating, I'll admit it was sure nice to see my call in print, even if I
was at the bottom of the list.

My participation in any given VHF contest depends on the weather that
weekend, for one, and how I feel at the moment.  I almost always operate
QRP portable and if it's raining or snowing I might just not feel like
putting out the effort.  Plus, I have many other things going on in my
life besides the contest.  I sure like to get on for at least a few
hours, though, even if it means less setup time (and fewer bands).

73, Zack W9SZ