RE: [VHFcontesting] Es beamwidth

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] Es beamwidth
From: "John Allen" <jallen@vhfcom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 20:26:05 -0400
N1RR Wrote: Bigger is not always better.
K1AE wrote: Well, I think it usually is, and stacks are always good.

N1RR wrote: Usually from here, at a given moment the opening is much
narrower.
K1AE wrote: This is true,  So run a 50 ft 9 element M2,

BTW - Correction - Steve K1SG runs a stack of the older 11 ele M2 50 ft
beams.  The newer M2 is 9 ele on 50 foot.

As far as what can be open at one time - you name it, it can happen.  That
is why we call it the magic band.

My best experience has been operating from K1KW with an 11 ele M2 50 ft Yagi
at 110 or so ft.  What was special about it was not (just) the location, but
the cleanlyness of the pattern.  (His (K1KW) signal beat me out when he was
running an 8 element KLM on a 24 foot boom on his picnic table looking into
the side of his hill while I was running 6 db more power into my 8 ele 37 ft
Wilson at 65 feet.  Now THAT is a location.......)

Clean patterns are espcially good if you have interference from Channel 2 or
powerline noise.

Clean patterns have more gain and a wider main lobe bandwidth that less
clean patterns.

Front to back can be good, or it can be bad (like when the band is open to
both Eu and the west coast.)  I used to use an 8 element Wilson with a 37
ft. boom at 65 ft that only had an 11 db. F/B due to it's design.  The gain
was fabulous and the lack of F/B was not a big problem.

73, John, K1AE, Bolton, MA

John Allen  - PC Support Solutions www.pcsupportsolutions.com PC House
Calls: Computer HW/SW/Network debugging, installation, maintenance, and
upgrades
mailto:john@pcsupportsolutions.com  978 779-6189 M: 508 361-6229