[VHFcontesting] IF rigs for transverters

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] IF rigs for transverters
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
I currently use an FT-817 as the IF for my DB6NT 10GHz transverter.
I bought the FT-817 just for this purpose because I was told that some
"full power" rigs (like the FT-100D) put out too much power or have
short power spikes at keydown that can fry a transverter.  I would like
to replace the FT-817 with a "full power" rig so I can use full power
on 6m, 144Mhz, and 440Mhz when not using the rig as an IF for a transverter.
I've been thinking about the IC-706MkIIG or the FT-857D.  Does anyone
know if these rigs are suitable for use with transverters (in general)
and DB6NT (esp. 10GHz) transverters in particular?  Anyone using one of
these rigs with transverters?  Any gotchas?

Obviously, one option is to keep the FT-817 just for use with transverters,
but that's an added expense.  Another option is to buy 6m, 144MHz, and
440MHz amps for my FT-817.  This will cost about the same as buying another
rig.

Any advice?