Re: [VHFcontesting] Mounting omni loops to tower legs

To: "Todd and Sandy Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Mounting omni loops to tower legs
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:47:49 -0500
Todd,

I have had a pair of 6M KB6KQ loops mounted on my tower for over two years and they seem to work fine. These are mounted directly to the Rohn 45G tower leg and separated 20' apart vertically. I can't comment about SWR shift because I've never used the antennas in any other location.

From here near Detroit, the least-used direction is due north so I mounted the loops to the southern-facing tower leg. No directional effects have been noted.

It's often surprising how well these loops work. Mine are mounted at 50' and 70' and these compare surprisingly close to our 7L yagi at 95'. Usually, when the band is not open in a specific direction we CQ on the loops with good success. This seems to work better in the June contest than during the January or September contests.

73,

Dave/K8CC