Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of Success

To: Ron Hooper <w4wa@alltel.net>, David Hinton <ke4yyd@gtcom.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of Success
From: Fred Lass <felasstic@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:18:50 -0800 (PST)
To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contest Measure of
SuccessFrom: "Ron Hooper" <w4wa@alltel.net>Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:10:52
-0500List-post: <mailto:vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
I would like to ask the group a question.Why does the success of a contest need
to be measured by the number of logsreceived by the ARRL?

++No.  Even the number of unique callsigns is misleading.

++The number of participants in multi-op groups has increased.

Instead of dropping a contest because of the reluctance to submit the log,maybe
we should look back and ask ourselves, are we actually working lesspeople in
the UHF or other contest now than we did in the previous years. Myanswer is NO,
the activity has increased in the South.

++That is true for me as well. I operate 6 meters at W2SZ.

My observation is that hams have simply lost the motivation to send in thelogs.
The threat of loosing the UHF contest could motivate some to startturning in a
log, but we should also look at what de-motivates operatorsfrom sending in a
log.ARRLs reluctance to change or not change the rules.Correct software
incorporating the new rules or computer skills to log andsend in the score.
Lack of recognition for efforts (no matter how small).Can not be competitive
from my station or location.These de-motivators spread across the spectrum into
many contest. Thesuccess of a contest should not be measured by submitted logs
alone but bythe actual participation. The ARRL should be comparing the
submitted entrieswith the actual participation to measure how well their
contesting programis actually working in order to make corrections to the plan
instead ofgiving it up.Ron W4WALula, Georgia

++The final challenge.  Where is the evidence that any rules

++changes will increase the activity?

73,  Fred  K2TR

Do you Yahoo!?