[VHFcontesting] Reply from the Rochester VHF Group [LONG] (RE: ARRL VHF+

To: "'vhf-contest-proposal@arrl.org'" <vhf-contest-proposal@arrl.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Reply from the Rochester VHF Group [LONG] (RE: ARRL VHF+ contest proposals: input invited)
From: "Hoffman, Mark" <mhoffman@microwavedata.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:39:29 -0500
To the MSC VHF-UHF Contest and Awards Subcommittee:

On behalf of the members of the Rochester VHF Group, we would like to reply
to the Contest Proposals that have been presented in this email. As Chairman
of the RVHFG, the oldest VHF Group in North America, I feel honored to
represent the members of our club.

The RVHFG has consistently been a force in VHF+ Contesting since the
beginning of ARRL-Sponsored Club Competition. For many years, the friendly
rivalry between the Mt. Airy VHF Group (Packrats) and Rochester VHF Group
was a driving force in increasing activity in our 2 regions. At our peak, we
fielded more than 200 stations on the air during the January VHF
Sweepstakes. Many of our stations are regulars in the Top-10 to this day,
and represent HUNDREDS of QSOs above 50MHz. The RVHFG has regular tune-up
clinics, sponsors various construction projects (recently 5 and 10GHz
transverters) and tries very hard to ensure that the Western NY region is
well-represented in the world above 50MHz.  Our efforts towards this show,
as our membership has been slowly on the climb for the past few years. This
is reverse of the general trend nationally amongst many clubs - not just VHF
Clubs.

Since this announcement, during our weekly 2m net, Club Newsletter (RVHFG
Journal) and via email, we have asked for the opinions of the Rochester VHF
Group membership and their thoughts about these proposals. I will be
summarizing the consensus to each point as it has been addressed by our
membership.

SUMMARY: The Rochester VHF Group thinks many of these proposals are deeply
flawed. We do NOT support the majority of the recommendations as stated in
this email. The exceptions are:

1) Distance Scoring Component: Many of our members feel this may be very
positive, however will require some further discussion on just HOW to
implement this.

2) New Categories, Other Changes: No opinion was expressed.

3) EME Contest: These proposals are perfectly valid, and should serve to
increase participation overall.

Should these proposals be implemented, they can only serve to limit
experimentation and decrease the value of an ARRL Contest Award. Devaluing
something is not, in our opinion, the proper way to induce others into
active participation. Raising the bar, instead of lowering it, should be the
true test of fair competition.

All comments will be inline with the original Text as received via email.

Respectfully,

Mark Hoffman, K2AXX
Chairman, The Rochester VHF Group