[VHFcontesting] Defining grid circling

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Defining grid circling
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:56:52 -0800
I am not sure I should even jump into this, but here is my proposal to define grid circling. While the numbers are arbitrary, the underlying philosophy is the point. The wording or metric can certainly be refined if necessary/desired.

Grid circling is defined as any rover, who works a particular rover station in three ore more grid squares that converge during a 3 hour period. Two or more occurrences of this between the same rover pair during the course of the contest will be sufficient grounds to define grid circling.

I think this is simple, unambiguous and a fair compromise that allows rovers who "happen" to come together at a grid intersection to take advantage of that occurrence, yet if they choose to repeat it at another corner it is obviously contrived. This also severely minimizes the affect of pack rovers.

Given a solid definition of grid circling, the rules committee can chose to do two things based on the log results:
1. Disqualify those that exceed the threshold.
2. Create an unlimited rover category where anything goes that does not contribute to club scores nor compete with "regular" rovers.

I would be interested in seeing what would happen with the latter.

The only possible exception/variant to this rule would be to allow those who chose to grid circle where the grids are separated by at least 100 miles. I can see this as a plausible scenario for real rovers and while it could certainly be contrived, there is no doubt that "real" communication is taking place. I think allowing this would still prevent pack rovers from racking up massive scores AND they would require microwave equipment that is capable of spanning the distance. If they can work their rover team over those distances there is no question that they should be able to contact other microwave equipped stations, which if they are adhering to the spirit of maximizing contacts with as many stations as possible is good for everyone.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO Weak signal, EME, microwave Site)