Re: [VHFcontesting] Re: VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 14, Issue 31

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Re: VHFcontesting Digest, Vol 14, Issue 31
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:57:29 -0600
> Driving home from Dayton last year, I entered the County Hunters Contest.  I
> had a CD map of our route and had mapped out where all the county lines were.
>  There were instances when we (I wasn't driving!) crossed in to and out of a
> county several times in a matter of minutes.  I draw an analogy to a rover
> who is driving to his or her next grid square.  Roads are rarely straight and
> if they are near a grid line, I suspect that you might pop in and out of one
> grid many times during your travels.  Some rovermobiles are equipped to
> operate some of the lower bands while in motion.  This will limit their
> ability to operate.  Granted, the chances of finding a road like that might
> be small, but I think it is a real situation that should be considered.  I
> agree that grid circling is contrary to the intent and not in the spirit of
> the contest and do not condone it.  But like some spam filtering, this method
> could produce some false positives...

Yes - it can.  I remember asking a rover who I missed in one grid if
he could go back into that grid - which he was happy to do.  With a
15 minute rule - that would be harder for him to do.

However, some inconvience is worth a simple rule to solve this problem.

Sure, if people would have understood the intent of the "work as many
stations as possible" rule, and complied with it, this conversation
wouldn't be necessary.

Tree