Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers again

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rovers again
From: W0eea@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:28:37 EST
tree@kkn.net said:

Sure - if you are trying to compete against the other rovers you are dancing
with.  It seems strange that you are competiting against people that you have
made these kinds of arrangements with.  It would seem more logical that you
are either trying to boost your club score, or make some kind of point about
how silly the rules are.

---------------

I was trying to come in first in the country in the (newly) created rover
class.  [This was the first January contest after the class was instituted.
I was a WB9 then.  [[ Some rovers on the East Coast were so upset
that Mid-Western rovers came in first and second they went out the next
January and made the million point plus scores that caused the rules to be
changed. ]] I haven't submitted a rover class log since the rules change
although I have roved since then. ] [I don't know if they got a look at our
logs or figured out what we did,  or invented the idea independently,
but the four of us [[2 crew x 2 rovers]] from the Chicago area were the
first to win a contest that way.]

The rover I was directly competing against,  and circling with,
was also trying to win.  We did come in #1 and #2 in the country.
Neither of us submitted or scores to any club score.  We were trying
to make a point that the rules allowed rover stations to make large
scores like the multi-op station that all of us operated with in June
and September contests regularly did.  [That group has since broken up.]
Having done both I can honsetly say that amassing a large score  is easier
at the multi-op than in the rover.

The bottom line is: we used the rules to make the maximum possible score
and won the contest by doing so.  I did not then,  and do not now,  think
there is anything wrong with that.  Grid circling (what I called rover
squared,  think about it.)  is difficult,  time consuming,  monotonous,
tiresome,  and extremely competitive.  I think most of those who complain
about it do so because they know that most rovers won't do what they have
to do to be competitive when it is allowed (And they are correct to
think so.)  But then most multi-op stations won't do what it takes to
compete with W2SZ either.

By the way the (not so anonymous) comments in favor of captive roving
are right on the money also.  I started as a captive rover for the
group mentioned above (in 9 land not W2SZ) and quickly added equipment
and antennas to become competitive in the class when it was finally
created.  I have roved about a dozen times since,  usually not entering
a score anywhere.  When I wasn't roving in the vehicle it was usually
out with others in it.  Most of them did submit scores.  Without my
captive roving none of that would have happened.

73,

Jim