Re: [VHFcontesting] Vhf Contests

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Vhf Contests
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:39:06 -0500
Ron Hooper wrote:
I was serving the Midwest Division on the Contest Advisory Committee

back in the 90s. The CAC voted 11 to 3 to change the rover scoring rules back to the pre 1995 rules. When our recommendations got to the Membership Services Committee at the League this was rejected.

I was also on the CAC and remember the vote Larry mentioned. The ARRL Membership Service Committee (MSC) would not go along with the CAC recommendation. I am not sure why or if they gave a reason but it did seem mysterious to me at the time. I do know the MSC has a lot of power to do what they want at the league.

From what I can tell, the MSC *is* the League's "steering committee". That being said, they voted against a return to the original rules because they realized that being wishy-washy is more damaging than making a less-than-optimal, yet concrete decision. History has proven this to be the correct strategy (turmoil reduction, that is).

Though this may come as a surprise to many on the list, this is exactly the reason that I oppose changing the Rover rules again, now (though if they are "destined to change" I have thoughts on the way to do it with minimized - but not eliminated - "collateral damage"). We are approaching a record number of Rover submissions...let's not take three steps backward again.

In my opinion, this includes all suggested rover-side rule change suggestions. If one wants to prohibit a strategy (grid circling or pack roving) then define it clearly and give teeth to the "Awards Committee" to deal with it quickly and decisively with some process that is fair to all involved.

'nuf said. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Ev Tupis, W2EV