Re: Fwd: [VHFcontesting] True Sarcastic Humor [was: Rover Circling Sol

To: ka5cvh@arrl.net, VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [VHFcontesting] True Sarcastic Humor [was: Rover Circling Solution [was: ARRL VHF+ contest...]
From: John K9IJ <k9ij@vx5.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:45:45 -0600
At 05:31 AM 2/23/2004 -0800, Michael Urich wrote:
--- Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net> wrote:

> If you haven't seen this yet...there's a Rover score posted to 3830 that
> lists a score that surpasses N6NB's.  Read the account and strategy
> employed at:
>
> http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/3830/2004-02/msg00182.html

Mike wrote

I like his spoof call sign W6/HA2YOU/R thats cute. It reminded me of a guy that got busted on 40m
years and years ago running the call, Sierra Hotel One Tango, yes I know some of you graduates of
public education might have to write that one down to get it :-)

However on the serious side. I don't recall if it was on this reflector or the Rover reflector
that a couple in the Chicago area were roving and using both their calls to "give out" points. As
I recall it was pointed out to them that they could not do that under the rules. On one hand I
don't have a problem with multiple licensed hams in the same vehicle "giving out points" if they
are not doing it as a part of a club effort. This is where and why I feel that rovers shouldn't
be included into club scores.

Example, my son, Chase, KC5MPK, and I were in Atlanta for an orienteering competition during the
Jan 03 contest. Between events we were in, we were able to get on the air a little bit and help
out the locals some. In this case we were not set up to "ROVE" and only had a FT-100 with a 1/4
vert on 50 and a dual-band for 144/430 in the car. It was ashamed that we couldn't use both my
call and his for all contacts, even though we did switch off and work different stations and/or
different bands. My thoughts are to possibly permit this example but in order to do so we would
definitely need to remove rovers from club competition results.

While there were a lot of 'opinions' that they 'could not do that', in fact that's not the case. As family
members sharing the same equipment it is perfectly acceptable under the contest rules. It has been
confirmed by Dan Henderson, more than once.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice  K9IJ
k9ij@vx5.com