Re: [VHFcontesting] LOTW and Rover Ops

To: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] LOTW and Rover Ops
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:43:29 -0500
At 03:22 PM 11/8/03 -0500, Lee Scott - AA1YN wrote:
If someone worked the contest as a rover than I logged that person as call/R no mater what mode was used. This is a requirement of the ARRL VHF contests in order to receive credit for working that station more than once per band.

I don't think that is true. I never put /R on a rover's call because my logging software (NA) knows in the VHF contests to use the grid field along with the callsign to calculate dupes.

We've been doing serious limited multi-ops in every ARRL VHF contest over the past two years and have not lost a single multiplier because we didn't have "/R" on the call.

I am the logchecker for the ARRL 160M and 10M contests, and we strip off all callsign appendages (call areas, /R, /a, /p, /QRP, whatever) that do not determine the country before checking. No doubt some people will be shocked at this, but the appendages offer don't contribute towards the fundamental goal of log-checking; that is, were the claimed QSOs actually made?

Down in my heart I am a callsign purist. It pained me greatly when the FCC removed the requirement for signing portable (FD never seemed the same, but it IS easier). However, the use of logging software has made me look at my log like a logcheckers do - I don't log callsign appendages unless necessary. Most duping algorithms will treat K8CC and K8CC/5 as different calls, but the logcheckers will call them dupes. And while I respect QRP operators, I don't care that they're QRP and will not log "/QRP" on their call.

73,

Dave/K8CC