[VHFcontesting] Aurora/tropo in Sept VHF QSO Party

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Aurora/tropo in Sept VHF QSO Party
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:35:42 +0000
Lots of good aurora and tropo last week. The aurora even got down to Kansas and W0EKZ Wichita worked IL and OH stations on 2M aurora. September can be a good month for aurora.

Bermuda is about the same geo-magnetic N latitude as Virginia. So... a decent geomagnetic storm with a K of 6 or 7 and aurora should surely reach VP9. Bermuda is within aurora reflection range of W1, W2, W3, W4 and W8. If a decent aurora occurs in the Sept. contest, don't forget I am out there in FM72! Good chance to add a new grid and country on 2M and 70 cm.

Tropo too from Iowa and Missouri all the way to W1 land on 2M and 70 cm last week.

So if a tropo inversion occurs out in the Atlantic, watch out! Hamilton to Philly is about the same distance as Wichita to K9MRI EN70(who I worked with 10 w on 2M tropo July 20).

- Jon NØJK