[VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] captive rovers = Red Herring
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Wed Jul 30 14:07:08 2003
On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:28:47PM -0400, Hoffman, Mark wrote:

> But - I don't believe the issue is GLOBAL. Nor is it as rampant as some
> would wish to paint it.

Agree.  This is a pretty small number or rovers, but not an insignificant
number of QSOs are being made by them.

> More simply, I think ANYONE who goes out to play VHF+ radio rover should be
> given much more respect. They take their stuff on the road, whilst we suffer
> either in homes or fixed positions. They deal with the smokies, weather
> (often it sucks), wear-and-tear on their vehicles, gas, food on the
> road...stuff that sitting in my shack I don't even NEED to know about. All I
> know, is if I call CQ and a /R calls - I'm very happy to hear them.

I think the distinction I am making is that a rover that is partially (or fully)
enabled by a multi-multi, and only works that multi-multi - is a different
case than rovers in general.  Most rovers in general, behave in a way to make
as many QSOs as they can - with the intent to have fun and/or make as high of
a score as they can.  Captive rovers only help a speciic station win.

> They should be allowed to play in the community sandbox. If they snub enough
> people, they just will be sitting alone in the end, wondering why NOBODY
> cares about them. And the hope is, enough shame and they either retire or
> stop doing it. That, my friends, is the best we can hope for.

Their motivation is the winning effort.  They don't submit their log.  Most
people don't even know who they are (since they don't work other stations).

Tree