[VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was: REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why we participate [was: REMINDER:...CU2QSOPioneers]
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Jul 24 10:44:23 2003
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:00:27AM -0400, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:
> Tree wrote:
> > Well, I think a distinction needs to be made between "the hobby" and "the
> > contest".
> >
> > A contest is intended to be some kind of competition and most people
> > who are in them seriously would like it to be some kind of indication
> > of the ability of the operator - particularily in the single-op,
> > unassisted category.

I completely agree with Tree, and I think his opinion is that of the
majority of those who identify themselves as "contesters."

> Tree has shared with us what he thinks is fun about contests.  His
> connection is "not necessarily the opinion of the management or staff".
> <smile>  A contest is many things to many people including:
>
> A way to...
> ... work new Grids (VUCC)
> ... test equipment (hardware maintenance and experimentation)
> ... pass time (socialization)
> ... combine Road Rallye with QSO making (Rovering)
> ... experiment with new strategies (Pioneering)
> ... score well and see their call in QST (highest-tier competition)
> ... hone skill in any number of areas
> ... feel like part of a group heading in the same direction (multiop and club)
> ... etc.

Aside from your line item "score well," none of those activities is
dependent on contesting in its current form, nor are they critical to
contesting.  Are there hams who are not contesters who get on the air
during a contest to do some of these things?  Sure.  If there were no
contests, would any of these activities stop happening?  No.

Contesting _is_ competition.  At its core, that's what it is.  It is a
sport.  A technical sport, sure, but a competitive sporting event.

That which affects the competitive aspects of the sport, that which
reduces the attractiveness of the sport to true competitors, weakens the
event for everyone.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops