[VHFcontesting] K9ZF /R Contest planing for the June VHF QSO Party

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K9ZF /R Contest planing for the June VHF QSO Party
From: danlevans@msn.com (Dan Evans)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003

I'm starting to get the Rover prep in gear now.  I'm adding an extra section
to my home brew push up mast so it should extend to about 38' when raised.
The extra section is mainly for a second 6 meter loop.  I'm going to try to
run stacked loops on 6.  The extra section should give me plenty of room for
the spacing on the pair, and some extra room for a couple more yagis if/when
I can add more bands.  I've also came up with an improved design for home
brew ladder racks to help brace the mast.  Just wish I could weld!  But I'll
manage.  I have a pair of marine batteries for DC power, I hope to get a few
antenna issues taken care of at Dayton, that just leaves the rigs.  The '746
is still doing great, so I'm set for 6 & 2.  I need to get the 432
transverter out and check it out, but it worked great the last contest so I
don't forsee any troubles there.  I'm hoping to put it all together in the
next couple of weeks and give it a field test.  That is always a big help to
spot problems.  I particularly want to check out the 6m loops to make sure
they are working properly.  I also need to figure out the new placement of
antennas, since I'll be adding at least one antenna, and extra height to the
mast.

I have also been giving some thought to a planned route.  I believe I'll run
basically the same route as last year.  I'll start down in EM88, then EM87,
77, 67, 78, 68, 69, 79, then finish up in EN70, & 60.  If by some miracle I
manage to stay close to my schedule, I may even run up to EN71 & 61.  I used
to try to allow 1 hour per grid, but I may stretch it out to 1.5 hours this
time to see if it will help me stay closer to schedule.  One key piece of
equipment I really need to add is a GPS receiver, although I don't think I
can squeeze it into the budget yet.

Still haven't set up BeacoNet CU2QSO for the Rover yet, but it looks pretty
simple, so I should have it ready well in time for the contest.  Look for
the K9ZF /R 75watt FM beacon:-)

Well, that's where I'm at for now.  How is your contest planning coming?

73
Dan

Dan Evans K9ZF
Scottsburg, IN 47170