[VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Spring Sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 50 MHz Spring Sprint
From: n0jk@hotmail.com (jon jones)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003
I had originally planned to operate the sprint portable from EM18, but high
winds
Saturday afternoon forced a change of venue. I stayed home and operated the
Sprint
in between helping the XYL with garden chores. To prevent TVI while the XYL
watched
the "History Channel" I ran 10 watts. Despite the low power I worked
everyone I could
hear with the exception of W5UWB and W5SSG.

I observed two distince phases of propagation. Starting at 0025 utc, NW5E
and
other Florida stations were in loud on Es for about 1/2 hour. I heard but
missed NJ2F in
EL96. They dropped out as Auroral contacts were being reported, and I wonder
if the aurora shut down the Es?

Nothing more until 0207 utc, when W5UWB EL17 appeared. I didn't work John,
but a loud K5IX
in EL29 called me. Had Louisana, Texas and New Mexico stations in on Es with
strong
signals until the end of the sprint. NJ2F popped in and I worked him for
EL96 at 0240 utc.
K5AM DM62 was my last contact and said I was "15 dB over."

I completed the Sprint with an even dozen QSOs in 9 grids for 108 points.

Congrats to WM5R (at K5TR) for his "310 x 102." A 6M VUCC in 4 hours with so
- so
conditions is fantastic!

    "VHF is not like HF, where some wire and cheap coax hung from a tree
will allow you

to make QSOs."

W5SSG EM04 reported working K4ADR EL96 with his FT-817 and whip.

Despite marginal Es I was able to "make QSOs" under contest conditions with
10 watts
and a dipole in the attic, and W5SSG worked Florida with his '817. I suspect
a "newbie" running 100 watts and "some wire and cheap coax hung from a tree"
would have done as well or better.

- Jon NØJK em17 Kansas