[VHFcontesting] Cabrillo, a technical marvel

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Cabrillo, a technical marvel
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:50 2003
I'm not sure where you're going with this.  Are you talking about
converting handwritten logs into Cabrillo format directly?

When Cabrillo first came out and after I got over the frustration of
having to get another program to generate Cabrillo logs (my version of CT
at the time didn't do it) I looked over the format and appreciated the
design.  But I don't think it was designed for much, if any, "human
interface".  It was meant to be used in coordination with computer
logging programs.  My program notes dupes and takes them into account when
it tells me what my final score is.  I have to add that final score number
to the final Cabrillo file.  The Cabrillo log file is simply a log - it
contains all the dupes, etc. but in no way flags or notes them as such.
The computer program at the other end is supposed to do that and
determine if your submitted score is correct.

With CT being freeware now, it is a way to generate Cabrillo logs.  CT has
a "postcontest" mode which allows you to enter paper log data into it
after the contest is done.  That is what I usually do when I have a paper
log from my QRP-portable contest operation.  It's worked for me for years.

CT also allows you to merge several logs and puts them in chronological
order.  We used that feature once for a M/S effort in CQWW.

73, Zack W9SZ