[VHFcontesting] VHF & UP register - open to general use

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF & UP register - open to general use
From: aa1yn@aa1yn.com (Lee Scott - AA1YN)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:36 2003
Hi All,

After having a very dismal showing of volunteers to help/give me
suggestions/comments I have decided to open the registry up to
anyone.  There is still much work to be done but I think I have a good
start.  I do need to see some activity on this and I do need your
comments/ideas on how to make it useful.  I would hate to abandon this
effort due to lack of interest on your part.  I am also looking for
comments from those of you who have written contest logging programs on
what data needs to be extracted in order to interface with your programs.

I don't mind hosting and developing the registry but I would like to see it
used.  It can not be of any use unless there is a fair amount of participation.

Like the WSJT database, I hope this will be an international database.  The
WSJT database has 340 registered users in the USA and has 421 registered
users elsewhere. This database has been growing by about 1 per day and
that's only for meteor scatter.

What I have working to date:

Registration process - You must register first before entering your
information.  The process will email you a registration number (provided
you entered your email address correctly). Anyone who is registered in my
WSJT database, is already registered in the VHF database with their QTH
info but no station information has been ported over.

QTH Info - allows you to enter your location information. You can put in a
good text description of your interests and goals. If you are also a rover,
enter a completely new callsign using your callsign with a /R at the
end.  You can then enter your rover station information.  I do need to work
on a schedule for the rovers but I do need some direction on what is needed.

Station info - allows you to enter your station information on each band,
you can have multiple stations for each band (I have both an IC-746 and a
DSP-10 on 2m and each one has multiple modes.

Search - allows you to specify up to 3 search keywords and sort on up to 3
keywords.

You can click on a callsign in the search results to see the full
description.  If you click on my callsign after searching for me, you will
see what I had envisioned. That might give you a good idea on entering your
info.

  I know there are a few bugs to be worked out so if you find one, let me know.

What I need to work on:

Rover schedules - I know they are very tentative and sometimes random

Data Extracts - This will create a text file for download based on some
selection criteria. Some logging programs can use this information to
validate grid locations and band availability.

Standings - Like the WSJT standings and the ARRL standings, this will allow
you to boast about your accomplishments.

If you have any questions - suggestions, please feel free to email me. Feel
free to post this to any other reflector or forward to any friend.

If you are a webmaster, I would appreciate a link.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52