[VHFcontesting] Re: Good VHF/UHF rigs

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Good VHF/UHF rigs
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Mon Jun 30 11:44:32 2003
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:19:03AM -0500, Zack Widup wrote:

> I'm about halfway through converting an HTX-100 as an IF rig for the
> microwave bands.  I removed the back panel with the heatsink and the final
> transistors and made an aluminum back panel that has two BNC connectors
> and a few power leads for transverter switching.  I'm putting a 144
> MHz transverter inside the rig so the separate 144 MHz receive and
> transmit lines will be on the BNC's.  There's an article by Rus Healy NJ2L
> on doing this that can be downloaded from the DEM website.  Since I'm
> building my own transverter, I can make it have adjustable gain, etc.  It
> should draw a lot less power than the straight HTX-100 with 5 watts into a
> transverter IF switch that has to just throw away that unneeded power.
> And it's small and lightweight if I want to carry it up a hill.

I've also done an NJ2L (he's now K2UA, btw) mod to a Realistic HTX-100
ten meter monoband rig.  That radio is now at N5XU, the club station of
the University of Texas Amateur Radio Club, and is hooked up to a DEMI
222 MHz transverter.  Even though the HTX-100 is a very mediocre ten meter
rig, at best, that combination performs as well or better than the
Yaesu FT-726R does on 144 MHz into a very similar antenna at an almost
identical height.  If the DEMI transverter was attached to a Kenwood TS-850,
it would be a superb combination.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops