[VHFcontesting] feeding a crank-up, tilt-over self-supporter

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] feeding a crank-up, tilt-over self-supporter
From: k3dne@adelphia.net (Ed Kucharski)
Date: Fri Jun 27 12:35:59 2003
After reading The World Above 50MHz lead article in July QST I see that
crank-up, tilt-over self supporting towers are being used by some vhf+
ops.  I hate to climb and have been thinking about a crank-up/tilt-over
self supporter (US Tower HDX555, Tashjian LM-354HD).  What are some common
practices for using low loss coax (1/2" superflex I have lots of
this,  lmr400uf?) from the top of the bottom tower section to the antennas
at the top of the tower (in my case a vhf-uhf-microwave array)?  For
tilt-over purposes, at the bottom of the tower, I'd like to use my existing
7/8 and 1&5/8 in. heliax from the shack via a trench up to the top of the
bottom section (22ft).  I'm concerned about the movement and potential
damage of the hardline during the tilt-over and tilt-up process.  Thoughts
and advise?
73,
Ed K3DNE