[VHFcontesting] Re: I still think 1987 was better..

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: I still think 1987 was better..
From: ka5dwi@sbcglobal.net (Arthur Jackson)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:55 2003
Wow ...
Congratulations on your efforts.
You all had great signals.  I was hearing you off the side and off the
back of the yagis throughout the contest.

I still think 1987 was better. I do agree that the conditions were
outstanding Saturday evening.

I compared my 1987 log with 2003. In 1987 I was new on 6 Meters and was
actively pursuing QSO's by calling CQ as well as search and pouncing.
I made 150+ Q's in 94 grids that Saturday evening. All on 125 watts and
a 5 Element 1/4 wave spaced Quad.

This year on 6 Meters I was running about 80 watts to a 3 element
Cushcraft. This year I was just sat back and searched and pounced. I
did work just about everyone I heard calling CQ.  This year I had 105
Qs in 78 Grids Saturday evening.

The big difference was that in 1987, Sunday morning at 7:00AM it opened
back up and never did shut down for the rest of the contest. I worked
11 new grids the final hour. I had about 300 Qs and 142 grids when it
was over.  In addition, the coast to coast 2 Meter Es opening has never
occurred again down here.

Hope you are going to make it up to HamCom.  If you are, I will be at
the SWOT Flea Market table promoting.

73's
Art