[VHFcontesting] Contesting on 50.125

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Contesting on 50.125
From: w2fca@cs.com (w2fca@cs.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:33 2003
K7bv@aol.com wrote:
>Friends,
>Last weekend was my second semiserious VHF contest
........snip........
>I was curious if there was any advantage to using the frequency
>instead of some other one further up the band. ?I tried a few CQs
>on the frequency myself this weekend and did experience at least
>short term rates that suggested one might possibly improve his
>score by spending a lot of discretionary CQing-time on .125. ?

Three things come to mind.
1. It gives a chance to get a run for a single op until you get somebody who
has a bunch of other bands. Then you go to 2, 222 etc and you're gone for
awhile and somebody else gets to run on it.

2. A lot of times if you get somebody on two and wnat to run them starting on
six, you tend to pick a freq up the band. If you're on 170 you may get hit by
somebody running the bands. Nobody says "Hey, lets go to 432.050 and then
50.125"

3. Being on 125 means odds are you'll only have interference from a close
signal on one side of you (like 50.130) instead of both above and below.
Considering some of the signals on six, this can really help.

Frank
W2FCA