[VHFcontesting] Re: the endless debate about declining activity

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: the endless debate about declining activity
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:41 2003
N0JK writes:

> If more of us got on the radio between contests, overall VHF
> activity would be higher.

Jon - can you back that up with hard data?  :-)

I would like to apologize for my absence from this thread last night.
I decided instead to participate in the 222 MHz sprint.  I would like
to post my complete list of calls worked during this contest.  The
contest was 4 hours long, and I was active for at least 2 and a half
of them (pardon the bandwidth):

N7EPD - CN86
KB7DQH/R - CN86
W7DSA - CN85

I have the log in Cabrillo format, but I also have it memorized.  One
of my QSOs was on CW.  I did most of my CQing on CW, as I could let
the software call over and over, while I did other things in the shack.

My rig was an FT-736r that has the 222 MHz module.  I used a Mirage
amplifier that puts out about 120 watts and my antenna was a Cushcraft
7 element beam up about 50 feet.  I checked the pattern of the antenna
earlier in the day by turning on my signal generator out in the barn
and it was really pretty impressive.

I have ordered a new M-squared beam with a 7 wavelength boom.  I figure
that with this better antenna, I might be able to work 4 or even 5
stations in the next event.  I will turn the Cushcraft vertical so I
can better work the guys on 223.5 FM.

I think the Boring Amateur Radio Club might have to invest in a 222
beacon.  We have one on 432 which has been on the air now for a year.
It is great being able to hear a signal on the band even when there
is nobody there.  Last June during the VHF contest, this beacon
(which runs about 200 mw and a horizontal loop in southern Washington)
was heard down in Arizona!  We have no idea how the signal got down
there, but we are convinced it wasn't EME.

Preparations are starting the the 3rd W7EW/K7RAT shootout in the June
VHF contest.  We just hope someone else doesn't beat both of us like
N7AU did last year...

73 Tree K7RAT / N6TR - CN85tj
tree@kkn.net