[VHFcontesting] The anecdotal "evidence" that real data is needed

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The anecdotal "evidence" that real data is needed
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:40 2003
Skip said:
o Contest operation took place
o The excitement of contest operation nudged his wife to get licensed
o She didn't want to submit the "measly score"

I said:
People operate because:  o It's fun
                         o There's a reward
People submit because:   o It's easy
                         o There's a reward

For her...it is exciting (It's fun).  Her reward for operating wasn't spelled
out in Skip's note (for many it's the adreneline rush, for others it's helping
out the club score, for others it's ...).  BUT: I'd bet that if someone asked
her, she'd tell them what it was for her.

For her...there was no reward for submitting a log.  We don't know if she thinks
it would be easy to do or not...because no one has asked her.

Am I the only person that sees great value in getting logs from the top 20
stations from last year's contests (who needs historical files?) and running a
study of calls vs. submitted logs and polling those that operated as to why they
didn't submit?

Ev Tupis, W2EV