[VHFcontesting] RE: June Contest Proposal

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: June Contest Proposal
From: mhoffman@microwavedata.com (Hoffman, Mark)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
Perhaps I'm missing something. Could someone explain to me just HOW
restricting a contest to 4 Bands could POSSIBLY help participation?

I have to think, that by limiting June to ABCD, the following might occur:

1) Those stations with multiple microwave bands won't participate, or at
least throttle way back. I've got a darn good ABCD station, capable of lots
of QSOs. But I like to work on extending my uWave records, too. Without
stations to work on those uWave bands (which Contests tend to bring out) -
why do I feel like playing? Where's MY incentive? Do you think that stations
like W2SZ/1 would go to Graylock just to play ABCD?

2) Those stations with only AB(C)D won't find as many people actively
contesting, since they fell into category 1 (listed above). With fewer
active many-band stations operating seriously, these operators might not
work nearly as many QSOs as they'd expected.

3) If propagation sucks, then there will be LOTS of people sitting around,
feeling discouraged. Regardless of how many bands they have.

If the nature of a contest is to build the best station possible to make as
many points as possible - isn't it reasonable that SOMEONE will be
discouraged no matter WHAT we do to make it better? So, it's my contention
that restricting the June contest to 4 bands is the WORST POSSIBLE solution
to an unclear issue.

I'm not JUST a contester - I'm a VHFer at heart. I run a local SSB net on 2m
every Monday. I am available for anyone to run skeds with. I'm available to
help folks with construction projects,etc. I like the smell of solder, burnt
phenolic, all that crap. THAT is the nature of VHF+ - contesting just adds
an extra spark to help us push the limits. Without that spark, what's the
point of it all?
(and, at age 33, gonna be doing this a LOOOONG time to come..>)

Mark, K2AXX
ABCD9EFGHIJL
FN12cs