[VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules - whoa!!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF Contest Rules - whoa!!
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:21 2003
On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Bradford J. Williams - N8GLS wrote:

> Wow,
>
> I subscribed to this group because I thought I could pick up a couple tips
> and maybe join in on some discussions on techniques, station set-up, etc,
> etc..
>
> I knew there was a sort of "family" or "society" of real contesters, but,
> wow.  Seeing the recent banter, or, more communicatingly correct, blather,
> really makes me glad I don't take it quite so seriously.

There are some aspects of VHF contests I take seriously and some I don't
take seriously.  What I do take seriously is constantly improving my
equipment and having fun.  What I don't take seriously is winning
anything.  So I'm not particularly interested in any rule changes giving
me an advantage over anyone else (or disadvantage for that matter).

My first VHF contest operation used a homebrew 144 MHz transverter
consisting of a bunch of little boxes.  The LO/power splitter was in one
box, the transmit mixer was in another box, the receive mixer was in
another ... in all, there were 8 boxes, I think.  It all connected to an
HTX-100 as an IF rig.  I took all that to a hilltop and put it together on
the seat of my car.  My antenna was a 5-element beam made from a broom
handle and those 3/16 inch diameter steel rods you can buy at any hardware
store.  I actually made a half a dozen QSO's with it and I was ecstatic!

Now my station is entirely homebrew except for the old trusty HTX-100
which is still going strong, and an FT290R as an IF for the microwave
bands.  But I've streamlined it a lot and I'm constantly doing things to
improve the setup. I like to change things around; squeeze a few extra
tenths of a dB out an antenna design with Yagi Optimizer, build it and see
how it performs in the contest. I can get the transverters and antennas
for 9 or 10 bands into a Toyota Corolla.  I still do only hilltop
operations in contests.  I consider that to be a lot of fun.

With my schedule the last few years, I haven't had more time than maybe 6
or 8 hours for operation in any VHF contest, so I don't go out expecting
to win anything.  That way it's even more of a pleasant surprise when I
do!  (I have won Illinois for QRP-portable operation a couple times).

So there are a few of us here, I'm sure, who will follow the rules but
don't care if they are changed this way or that.  I'll keep on doing just
what I have been because I enjoy it.

73, Zack W9SZ

(P.S. We can still discuss techniques, station set-up, etc.)