[VHFcontesting] AM6154/6155

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] AM6154/6155
From: bdh@teleport.com (Bruce Herrick)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:29 2003
Does anyone know if these amps are still being manufactured?

I have been in a number of ARSR4 radar sites that have been built in the last 5
years or so.  These are long range search radars jointly used by the FAA and
the Air Force.  Most have associated comm facilities, and I have been surprised
to see racks of new-appearing 6154/6155 amps.  An FAA tech at one site told me
he thought they were brand new, and that they were much more reliable than the
solid state units used in other facilities.

Another option for N9RLA to check out is a 2 - 4CX250R cavity sold by Fair
Radio a few years back.  They were used in airborne equipment and cover the
usual 225-400 MHz.  They are easily convertible to the ham bands and good for
700+ watts.  I don't see them on the Fair website now but someone might might
know the nomenclature.  I have 2 but they are buried in storage at the moment.
As Fair sold them they were refurbished with new tubes and sealed in the
typical military foil bags and wooden crates.  Fair sold them for around $80,
as I recall.  Detailed conversion instructions were available via the web,
somewhere.

Good luck!

Bruce Herrick WW1M

multipart/alternative