[VHFcontesting] KF6TPT Rover plans...

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] KF6TPT Rover plans...
From: toxic@doobie.com (Jeff Burchell)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:08 2003
I'm in the process of preparing my first rover effort for the June
contest.  I'm not looking to be hyper competitive... I'm more interested
in fun and having a good reason to finish and test my mobile setup, while
exploring some of the nearby big hills, and to bag some new grids in the
process.

I'll have 100w to a M2 HO Loop on 6 and 20w to a 4 element beam on 2m
crammed into a 1987 Honda CRX.  I might be able to come up with a brick
amp for 2M before the contest as well.

The rove:

I'll be starting the contest at N37.3245 W124.2041, which is a Vista Point
along Skyline Blvd in CM87.  It's at about 2500' and has spectaular views
to the north and east.

Whem I'm done there, I'll be headed to the campus of UC-Santa Cruz, in
CM86.  CM86 is mostly in the water, and the UCSC campus is one of the
tallest points in the grid.  Since I happen to be alumni, I should be able
to park on the roof of the new parking structure at N36.9989 W122.0640.
Check out the north coordinate.  It's about 120 yards south of the edge of
the grid square.  In the event that I can't park up there (or it's an
unsuitable location for other reasons), my backup plan is to operate from
the edge of Coolidge drive, at the dirt parking area near the entrance to
Pogonip (Approximately N36.992 W122.049).  I'm hoping that CM86 is an
unusual enough grid that disadvantages of being <1000 feet ASL will be
balanced by the number of (larger) stations who might be looking for the
new multiplier.

>From there, I'll pass through CM96, hopefully activating it while in
motion.  I'll move on to Mount Loma Prieta in CM97.  (Approximate
coordinates: N37.113 W121.846)  I have not yet been to this location, so I
haven't yet found my operating position.  It's my understanding that you
can get within a few hundred feet of the summit without great difficulty.
I'll be going there in the next few days to do some recon.

After Mt. Loma Prieta, I'll head home for the night.

On Sunday my plans are still somewhat fluid, because I'll have limited
time to operate.  I'll most likely go to Mount Vaca in CM88 (N38.400
W122.104, also to be reconned in the near future).  If I have the time,
I'll also take a stop on Mt. Diablo (back in CM87).

Hope I hear some of y'all on the air

-Jeff,  KF6TPT
-San Francisco, CA