[VHFcontesting] Re: [NWWSVHF] Re: 222 Rig FS

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [NWWSVHF] Re: 222 Rig FS
From: n.mckie@bendcable.com (Neil McKie)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:16 2003
  I got my start on VHF contesting with my Gonset Communicator and a
Yagi antenna on a hill outside of Los Angeles in the early sixties.
This was before Funny Modulation (FM) became popular.

  When FM started up, it was used primarily by the guys who wanted a
reliable communications medium without the constant chatter of the AM
folks.  Some of us on FM were somehow connected with the 2-way radio
industry.  At the time, if you wanted to be on FM, you had to go to the
local surplus store, buy a very old Motorola or General Electric 2-way
radio, take it home, give it a bath, buy crystals, tune up the radio,
install it in your car (lots of vehicles were 6 volts at the time) and
operate.  Boy was that fun.

  The modern FM ham radio has taken all the fun out of it.

  73,

  Neil McKie - WA6KLA ...