[VHFcontesting] KI5DR EM10 - 144 Mhz Sprint Monday night...

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] KI5DR EM10 - 144 Mhz Sprint Monday night...
From: spederson@yahoo.com (Scott Pederson)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:52 2003
Howdy all,

With all that has happened in the last couple weeks, it was a nice
change to sit and enjoy a nice quiet evening on 2m SSB.

And Boy, do I mean Quiet!  :-)

Monday night was the 144 Mhz Sprint, but there was not much activity
here in Central Texas (Round Rock).

6pm local time and I have enlisted my 10 yr old son David to help me
out.  We set up my 2m beam and mast in the backyard (CC&Rs prevent
ANYTHING from being set up, but the neighbors do not mind if it is
temporary...) and we hook up the radio and PS, and run the coax through
the window.

7PM.  First contact is K5VH.  Then nothing. After 45 minutes of calling
and listening, David wants to go play something else, so I am left
alone with radio and laptop.  Apparently he was not impressed.  Pokemon
is more fun. :-)

After 2 hours, it is time to tear down before impending thunderstorm.
Special thanks to KA5VJB, N5YC, and KD5OSH for the additional Qs. Total
Score = 4 contacts, Two grids (EM10, EM00) for a total of 8 points.  I
didn't even beat my UHF contest score of 6 Qs from last month!  My last
contact was with Tom, KD5OSH, who got on for a while using my IC-251A
he borrowed last month. Nice to hear him on!  Just hope he operates
more contests.

Well, back to looking for ways to enhance my modest 50w 144Mhz station.
 Looking forward to Roving around South Texas again in January!

73's all!

de Scott, KI5DR