[VHFcontesting] Digimodes in VHF/UHF contests? Why not?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Digimodes in VHF/UHF contests? Why not?
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree N6TR)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:50 2003
> Rule 3.10 in the "General Rules for All ARRL Contests" reads as
> follows:
>
> "The use of non-Amateur Radio means of communication (for
> example, Internet or telephone) to solicit a contact (or
> contacts) during the contest period is not permitted."
>
> To me, that means you must make your skeds before the contest
> starts, or perhaps via ham radio on another band during the
> contest.  Seems clear enough.

No.  That is not what this means.  What this means is that you
can't pick up your telephone during a contest and call you
your friend in a grid you need and ask him to get on the air.

If you are in the contest, and want to make a sked without
someone on another band - no problem.

This rule isn't really addressing "before the contest" behavior.
It sounds like maybe it needs to.

In HF contests - it is pretty much frowned upon to have made
skeds before the contest.  However, I believe this isn't considered
a problem in VHF contests.

> Rule 2.1.3 in "General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands above 50
> MHz" states that for Single Operator stations, "Use of spotting
> assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving other
> individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, etc.) is not permitted."
>
> Once again: whatever skeds, etc., you want to make, using the
> internet, do it before the contest -- and disconnect yourself
> from the net when the contest begins!

I really fail to see the difference between making a sked before
the contest (using the internet) and one during the contest.
They are both being coordinated using non amateur means.
Howver, that is just my opinion.

Tree

PC: I might have an answer from the ARRL about all of this
tomorrow - so we can stop guess what they will say.