[VHFcontesting] Digimodes in VHF/UHF contests? Why not?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Digimodes in VHF/UHF contests? Why not?
From: n0jk@hotmail.com (jon jones)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:49 2003
A sad example of an "Internet Contest QSO" occured during the January
VHF QSO Party on the "144 MHz Prop. Logger." A station out in Colorado
solicited a 2 Meter QSO with a station in Kansas. They had trouble hearing
each other. The Colorado op posted "I am sending you 559 DMxx, did you copy
it." The other replied "I am sending RRR and EMxx, I am only hearing bits
and pieces, got the report here on the Logger. Thanks for the contact and
good luck in the contest."

These guys were using old fashioned CW, not a digital mode. What ever mode
is used, the contact should occur via radios without "assistance" during the
QSO.

  -Jon N0JK

>Along these lines, If you use a packet spotting system, I
believe you are not a single operator station anymore. I would also
assume that if you use the internet and log onto the propagation pages
that you are not a single operator either. I look at the 144 propagation
page sometimes to see if condx are good before I trek up through the
woods to my shack, and see meteor scatter QSOs there, that use the
internet for confirmation of the QSO. ("I'm sending  calls & EM00 now."
" Now I',m sending RRR." and such. This is quite common, and totally
against any rules outlining a valid QSO. <SNIP>

73
Dave K1WHS