[VHFcontesting] Try from the West Coast on 144 MHz...

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Try from the West Coast on 144 MHz...
From: w3se@dxer.com (Wes Printz, W3SE)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:49 2003
Hello All,

I am along the lines with Arliss, W7XU, and John, KM5ES.? One should try
operating a VHF contest from the West Coast, more specifically, Southern
California.? unless one operates from a Mountain top, they might be
lucky to work 15 grids in June on 144MHz.? we operate from a 6315' site
DM04xi, and on 144MHz average 28 grids , 250-300Q's with a moderate
station. 4x M2 2M9SSB and 150W.

One reason it is so tough out here... Look at ANY US Map.. We are
virtually isolated from the rest of the country on VHF.? While the east
coasters, and mid west stations routinely make 400-600 Mile Q's, on LOW
power, it is tough for us to work 250 miles.

In keeping with the premise of the hobby, experimentation, and
advancement ANY improvements are welcomed.? If working MS via HSCW, or
FSK441, can increase Q count, then by all means let's go for it.

I have worked Two new grids, DM79, DN13, and re-worked DM62 using
FSK441, of which would not have been possible with out a Major Shower.?
This brings my Grid count to about 52 in 6 years..YES it takes a while,
but I'm not complaining, because it just makes it more challenging from
So. Cal.? Thanks to Joe, K1JT and his FSK441, my small station here,
150W 12 Ele @20' will be able to work a few more grids.

PSK31 has been adopted into some of the HF contests as a mode.? Who can
"Decode by Human Ear" these signals?? I feel that if The CAC needs to
make a ruling on this, then they should add another entry class :
ASSISTED if stations use the Internet for making Skeds using either Ping
Jockey, or MS Rocks live Etc.? We already have this class in some of the
HF contests when using the DX Packet Cluster.? Just my thoughts on the
subject.

Now time for the SoapBox:

??? The mode is FSK441? NOT WSJT.. That is the software package.?
remember, Joe, K1JT, is still working on adding more modes to WSJT.??
When referring to HSCW, do people say QRV on MSDSP or Cool Edit.? Just
another 2 Cents worth.
?

73,

Wes, W3SE? DM03ww