Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a self supporting tower interaction

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling a self supporting tower interaction
From: "Jim Lux" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 16:48:01 -0400

There's two ways to approach the modeling.  The easiest is to model a "very
thick" wire - match the surface area of the tower with the surface area of the
wire.
The less easy is to model all the pieces of the tower as individual wires.
Since it is repetitious, it's not too tough to model pieces, then use the GM
card to make copies.
I'd bet that some googling would turn up a NEC deck for Rohn 45 tower segments.

Depending on the frequency range, you may want to change the segmentation of
the struts and verticals.

And, of course, runtime for NEC goes as the cube of the number of segments, so
you're looking at fairly long run times.

One way to get around that is to do what they do for ships and other
structures.  Model the tower and store it as a "Numerical Greens Function"
which you can later read back in, and just add your new segments.

When I do this sort of thing, I often wind up writing some python or Matlab
code that generates NEC deck cards.  That makes it easy to make frequency
dependent segmentation and such.