Re: [TowerTalk] RF Industries Connectors/Adapters

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Industries Connectors/Adapters
From: Ken Alker <ka6ken@alker.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 06:30:58 -0700
At Santa Barbara Electronics Supply I have been selling RF Industries PL-259s for a decade (and my predecessors at the Santa Barbara based MarVac Dow Electronics for probably 50 years before that). I've used RF Industries parts in my shack. I don't have any empirical evidence of qualify, but I've never had any complaints. I also sell Pan Pacific (no complaints there, either).

The ham operator looking for the best price buys Pan Pacific from me. The ham operator looking for best quality buys RF Industries. The RF Industries PL-259 I sell is the "501" (like the Jeans) which has a teflon dialectric and silver body, unlike what I can get from Pan Pacific.

My rep for the RF Industries parts has been in the industries since the 60's (yep!) and is a ham as well, so I trust his opinion. He sells 1000's of RF Industries connectors every year. I still have the note I made when I first started buying from him, and I quote, "I suggest keeping a dozen 501's around for the guy who wants the best and you sell him one of these... teflon dialectric and silver body... as good as can be for a PL259. We carry Times connectors too, but realistically Times would be 50%-100% more." So, it seems Times was making connectors back then as well, and maybe they still do but I've never carried Times as RF Industries did the job for my ham customers.

My experience above is all about PL-259's coaxial connectors but I ASSuME we can extend this information to the N-female to PL-259 male adapters as well. I *might* even have some in stock, but I'm not at the store this weekend (annual DX BBQ in Arroyo Grande today; I'm sure I'll see at least one of your there, Dick :-).

I hope this helps.

Ken Alker
KA6KEN