Re: [TowerTalk] Mast material question

To: john simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast material question
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2024 15:37:51 -0500
Here is seat of pants.  You can put a rather large antenna on a piece of water
pipe if the antenna is mounted about 3 inches above the top of the tower.
Imagine the force it would take to permanently bend a piece  of 1.5” schedule
40  water pipe 3 inches from where it was secured.

Nobody talks about aluminum but I have 15 feet of 2” OD, 3/8” wall 6061-T6 that
was installed 50 years ago with a 2 element Mosley 40 at the bottom a 4 element
Cushcraft 20 in the middle and a little Hygain DB1015 at the top.  It was
changed a few years ago to something different.  It had seen some tremendous
winds but never a problem in 50 years.

It would be interesting for someone like K6OK to tell us an example of how many
SF you could have at 3 inches, 7.5 feet and 15 feet with that aluminum mast and
survive about 90 mph over which is when those elements would probably have been
stripped off.

Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPhone