Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew 30m beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew 30m beam
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:27:16 -0700
On 4/30/2024 11:56 AM, maflukey@gmail.com wrote:
Just a question - but why Moxon 30m and not just 2-el?    Moxon
advantage on 40m is the improvement of performance bandwidth compared to
  "typical" design with shortened 40m elements.   30m band is only 50 khz
  wide, which can be nicely covered even with shortened elements.

Excellent observation, especially the word "performance" with respect to bandwidth. For all practical purposes, SWR bandwidth matters only in terms of making power amps happy (like the 87A). What really matters is bandwidth of the desired radiation efficiency and directivity.

Also, which variables are important can strongly depend on where we live. Those on the east coast, for example, care a lot about F/B. Here on the west coast, I don't care about F/B, placing primary importance on forward gain and beamwidth over the needed bandwidth.

73, Jim K9YC