Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: HEBA antenna

To: "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>, "'Wes Stewart'" <n7ws@yahoo.com>, "'Radio KH6O'" <radio.kh6o@gmail.com>, "'Dave Cuthbert'" <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: HEBA antenna
From: "Steve Jones" <n6sj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:38:58 -0700
Nothing!  That's a great antenna!
73,
Steve
N6SJ

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk <towertalk-bounces@contesting.com> On Behalf Of Richard
(Rick) Karlquist
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2024 8:57 AM
To: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>; Radio KH6O <radio.kh6o@gmail.com>; Dave
Cuthbert <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Cc: topband <topband@contesting.com>; towertalk@contesting.com;
topband-request@contesting.com

No one has commented on the "High Efficiency" "Broadband" claims, so I will.
No antenna of this size will simultaneously have both high efficiency and
wide bandwidth, according to established limits in the literature.  See
K6OIK's Pacificon paper with the latest refinements to these limits.
Additionally, narrow band antennas typically don't handle a lot of power.  I
doubt that this would be extensible to 50 kW.
not that it matters for ham radio.

When placed over ground, even with an elevated counterpoise, there would
still be ground losses, which would affect efficiency.

Also, although the antenna technically only occupies 1/8 acre, the fields
will be very high within 1/6 of a wavelength, about 50 meters at 1 MHz.
This covers 2 acres.  I know my 90 foot 160m vertical, complete with guys,
ground screen and top loading wires neatly fits within a 100 foot radius
circle. about an acre.
What's not to like about this?

Rick N6RK