Re: [TowerTalk] TET Tribander vs. F12 C3

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TET Tribander vs. F12 C3
From: John Crovelli <w2gd@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:24:40 +0000
Go with the Force 12 C3 trapless design vs. the TET - you will forever be
rewarded.

73,

John, W2GD

------------------------------

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 23:01:33 -0600
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TET Antenna

Thanks all!? My google skills were poor today!? It is definitely the
HB34D.? I might actually give it a shot.? The specs say it weighs 18kb
or 40lbs.......I didn't eat my Wheaties this AM but it did not feel
anything close to that weight.? My other choice is a F12 original C3.???
I have to watch the weight and wind loading.

Once again thanks all for the very helpful emails!

Mike W0MU

On 4/6/2024 5:27 PM, Michael Tope wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I found this online (scroll to the bottom left for old TET brochures
> and manuals):
> https://tetemtron.com/
>
> IIRC the OSU ARC, W8LT, had a TET 15/10 meter dual band Yagi back in
> the mid-to-late '80s when I was a member. It was interlaced with a
> two-element 20 meter quad. We eventually took down the dual-bander and
> added a third element to the quad and strung the spreaders so that the
> quad had three elements on 10 and 15 meters. Our tower (a few
> sections? of Rohn 25) was nestled between two large flag poles on top
> of the southeast bell tower at the OSU football stadium. This limited
> the turning radius such that you could not have full 360 degree
> rotation of a 20 meter Yagi (hence the 2 element quad). I think the
> TET 10/15 meter dual-bander fit within the turning radius. The 20
> meter two-element quad definitely fit within the available space, but
> barely. When we rotated the antenna, the VSWR would swing wildly as
> the quad elements came in close proximity to the metal flag poles. I
> think the boom of the quad was at around 110 feet above the parking
> lot of the stadium, although that whole area was close to the
> Olentangy River, so it was in a bit of a low spot terrain wise.
> Nevertheless, that quad antenna worked pretty well.
>
> Another former OSU ARC member, N8SM (now sadly an silent key) might
> have had a TET tribander on the repurposed TV tower at his parents house.
>
> 73, Mike W4EF...........
>
> On 4/6/2024 1:44 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
>> On the tower I just bought was a TET 4 element antenna.? It appears
>> to use a dual driven element and then a two directors.? It appears
>> that one of the directors is for 10m.? Traps are small so I don't
>> think it can handle legal power.? This was probably purchased in the
>> 90's.?? Does anyone have a clue what it might be.
>>
>> The coax on the tower was awful.? The jacket was cracked all over.?
>> No clue what the brand etc. It is a crank over tower.? I was shocked
>> that the coax was never replaced.
>>
>> Mike W0MU

End of TowerTalk Digest, Vol 256, Issue 2