Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for jumpers and right angle connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coaxial for jumpers and right angle connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 11:57:04 -0700
On 3/30/2024 9:38 AM, Chuck Dietz wrote:
I had some trouble with my Alpha amp and reached back to make sure the
right angle connector was tight. It was so hot that it burned my hand. No
more right angle connectors!

You and I (and others in this thread) are the victim of junk connectors, made to sell to CBers. They are made with a tiny spring for the center conductor. REAL connectors and adapters are stamped with a MIL-spec number or Amphenol, and don't have this problem.

When I got back on the air in 2003, not knowing this, I stocked up with adapters at ham flea markets, buying myself a lot of problems over the next several years, some of which were hard to troubleshoot. I've thrown them all out, re-stocked with Amphenol and surplus MIL from hamfests.

I use RG400 for in-shack jumpers, but I also use right-angle connectors.

73, Jim K9YC